Jazz might not be the very first thing that involves thoughts whenever you consider The Juilliard Faculty, however maybe this sequence of Tiny Desks will change that. Tiny Desk and Jazz Evening in America have fun the twentieth anniversary of Juilliard Jazz with three Tiny Desk concert events that includes performances by present college students and alumni of the distinguished establishment.
When the starry-eyed college students of the Juilliard Jazz Ensemble first noticed the Tiny Desk, they stopped quick, exuding awe and wonderment. In spite of everything, a number of of their favourite artists had carried out on this very area — and now right here they had been, able to show themselves and stick with it the legacy of each the Tiny Desk and jazz.
The Juilliard Jazz Ensemble carried out on the Tiny Desk in celebration of the jazz research program’s twentieth anniversary. Made up of present college students, the ensemble embodies the spirit of neighborhood and collaboration that’s a necessary a part of the scholars’ studying expertise.
The ensemble opens with «June» a hypnotic composition by alto saxophonist Coby Petricone-Berg. We perceive instantly regardless of the members’ relative youth, this ensemble is to not be trifled with. A shout-out to the rhythm part is completely mandatory, as drummer John Sturino, bassist Nico Martinez and pianist Esteban Castro lay again within the lower whereas guaranteeing the trail forward for the horns, with Jasim Perales giving us soulful trombone, is clean like whipped shea butter. That is grade-A musicianship — everybody listening and unselfishly supporting one another.
For the ultimate choice, Ekep Nkwelle presents her association of Geri Allen‘s «Timeless Portraits and Goals.» Her voice soars on this contemplative ballad, an ideal nearer that permits every member of the ensemble to shine as they share the hope that, «In tomorrow’s world, let pleasure and love run free / Let’s maintain on to our goals.»
- «June» (Coby Petricone-Berg)
- «Timeless Portraits and Goals» (Geri Allen, arr. Ekep Nkwelle)
- Ekep Nkwelle: vocals
- Coby Petricone-Berg: alto saxophone
- Jasim Perales: trombone
- Esteban Castro: piano
- Nico Martinez: bass
- John Sturino: drums
TINY DESK TEAM
- Producer: Nikki Birch
- Audio Engineer: Josh Rogosin
- Director: Kara Body
- Artistic Director: Bob Boilen
- Collection Producer: Bobby Carter
- Editor: Michael Zamora
- Videographers: Kara Body, Pierre Kattar, Michael Zamora
- Audio Assistant: Jospehine Nyounai
- Manufacturing Assistants: Jill Britton, Joby Tanseco, Alanté Serene
- Tiny Desk Workforce: Suraya Mohamed, Marissa Lorusso, Hazel Cills, Ashley Pointer, Maia Stern
- VP, Visuals and Music: Keith Jenkins
- Senior VP, Programming: Anya Grundmann